Preventing and treating cavities doesn’t just have to be done at the dentist! There are non-intrusive ways to care for your teeth. I find the links provided below to be very helpful and informative.
My three year old daughter has a brown spot on two molars, which the dentist says is because she happens to have porous teeth with deep groves, so food gets stuck there easily. We are currently using tips from these resources, including adding powdered egg shells to her diet, along with cod liver oil and ghee to help heal them so that they don’t turn into cavities – I’ll keep you posted with what happens at her next dentist visit.
***July 2014 Update on my daughter’s dark spots (impending cavities) – 6 months ago I took my daughter to the dentist. She was 3 at the time. She had dark spots on some molars that were on their way to becoming cavities. (Due to some deep groves that some people genetically have. The hygienist told me that I really needed to get fluoride on her teeth. Of course, I didn’t. I did take action though. I reread things I had come across on healing cavities naturally. Then, I added more coconut oil to her diet, cod liver oil (put on toast with jelly) and ghee – i’d cook with it or put on toast. I also changed her toothpaste. We had been using Tom’s of Maine, but it’s not so natural. I switched to Happy Teeth Toothpaste. Went back to the dentist yesterday…. they were GONE!!!
For kids, I would use either of the Happy Teeth Toothpastes found under the baby tab.
For Adults: HAPPY TEETH TOOTHPOWDER - Cavity Fighting Toothpowder: (find under the body essentials tab)
- Organic Arrowroot Powder- used for thousands of years for overall mouth wellness
- Organic Erythritol- natural cavity fighter & sweetens tooth powder
- Organic Plantain Powder- tightens tissues and is soothing.
- Organic Peppermint Powder- antibacterial provides relief and relaxation.
- Organic Aloe Vera Powder-known for its ability to heal and to soothe
- Organic Dandelion Powder: helps to detox & heal, soothing
- Organic Cinnamon Powder- Freshens breath and prevents tooth and gum disintegration. Great for the immune system.
- Organic Menthol: great for breath freshening & antibacterial
- Organic Licorice Root- breath freshening, good for the entire system & tooth vitality
- Aluminum-Free Baking Soda- whitens & freshens
- Organic Essential Oils of Peppermint, Tea Tree & Spearmint- breath freshening & oral vitality
Conditions: Gingivitis, pyorrhea, and other tooth and gum problems. Might assist in tightening loose teeth. Excellent for normal brushing. This can replace toothpastes.
Price: A little bit of herbal tooth powder goes a long way towards a refreshing and revitalizing tooth cleaner. This FOUR ounce by volume jar of toothpowder contains AT LEAST a 6 month supply of tooth powder for one person. That’s only $3.33/month!
Preventing Tooth Decay: http://www.mommypotamus.com/can-a-weston-a-price-diet-reverse-tooth-decay/
Reversing Tooth Decay: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/03/reversing-tooth-decay.html
How I Healed My Child’ s Cavity: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/how-i-healed-my-childs-cavity/
How Egg Shells Can Help Heal Cavities: http://www.lahealthyliving.com/1/post/2013/04/eggshells-calcium-rich-food.html
Many people also recommend a book based on Dr. Weston Price’s diet for preventing cavities: Cure Tooth Decay